Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Latest Book Quiz

My good friend Boxer Rebellion has tagged me with this latest meme, so I will be a good sport and participate. You, readership, are under no obligation to return the favor. I will respond to tags but will not inflict them upon any of you. :-) If this seems like someone you'd be interested in, by all means, participate at will!

Here are the rules, as proposed by another dear friend, FranIAm.

The Rules

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)

The bookshelf behind me here in the computer room is full of them. So I decided to pick one at random. I found The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, a paperback edition from the 1970s inherited from my mother with yellowed pages.

2. Find Page 123.

3. Find the first 5 sentences and read them.

4. Post the next 3 sentences.

It would be nice, living by the sea with piles of little kids and pigs and chickens, wearing what my grandmother called wash dresses, and sitting about in some kitchen with bright linoleum and fat arms, drinking pots of coffee.

"How do you get into that prison?"

"You get a pass."

3 comments:

Fran said...

Hi CK! I couldn't remember if you were meme-resistant or not, so I did not tag you for that reason.

I am so glad that BR did!

Wow, The Bell Jar? Holy crap. That book had a major impact on me when I was in college and a bit depressive.

chris said...

well, the only book in my kitchen, other than my husband's cookbooks, is one I got as an xmas gift and was looking at earlier today, "memories of john lennon" edited and introduced by yoko.

page 123 is fortunately not a picture page...it's the contribution by billy j. kramer.

ok, 3 sentences after the first 5:

(brian is, of course, brian epstein)

At the same time, Brian was in the process of signing a group from Manhester called the Dakotas. Brian thought that they would be the ideal backing band for me, and had us all go down to the Cavern for a rehearsal, to see if the chemistry was right. To my surprise, John walked in and sat in the front row.

oooh, this is gonna be a good book!

joshhill1021 said...

I am also glad you did this, that was really good.