Saturday, December 13, 2008

An Open Letter

Dear Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority,

I am aware that you are desperately trying to prepare the public transit system for a crush of approximately 4 million extra visitors who are set to arrive here to attend the Inauguration of President Barack Obama. However, I suggest you do track maintenance every week day between the hours of 12 and 6 am when the rail system is effectively shut down for the night. I know you have a little more than a month before the big day arrives, but you could be a little smarter about it. Perhaps this is asking too much.

Last night, it took approximately one hour longer than it should for me to arrive back here at NIH because someone in their dubiously sound logic had decided to schedule

a) train delays
b) an ice hockey game
c) track maintenance

all simultaneously. This meant that the car I rode in was completely packed with people for most of an hour. This also meant that I was forced to endure the indignity of dealing with boorish, highly intoxicated hockey fans in an environment which was highly conducive to claustrophobia. Henceforth, I recommend putting the money into developing more than two tracks, which would make situations like these a thing of the past.

In common sense (in an era where there is apparently none of it),

Kevin.

No comments: