Saturday, November 18, 2006

What Needs to Change

I'm from the other side of town
Out of bounds
To anybody
Who don't live around
I never learned to share
Or how to care




I never had no teachings
About being fair.



WE people who are darker than blue

ARE we gonna stand around this town and let what others say come true?




We're just good for nothing they are figure
A boyish grown up shiftless jigger

Now we can't hardly stand for that


OR IS THAT REALLY WHERE IT'S AT?





We people who are darker than blue
This ain't no time for segregating



I'm talking 'bout brown and yellow too

High yellow girl, can't you tell

YOU'RE JUST THE SURFACE OF OUR DARK DEEP WELL

If your mind could really see
You'd know your color same as me.

Pardon me, brother
As you stand in your glory
I know you won't mind if I tell the whole story

Get yourself together,
Learn to know your sign.

Shall we commit our own genocide before we check out our mind?
I know we've all got problems
That's why I'm here to say
Keep peace with me and I with you
Let me love in my own way

Now I know we have great respect for the sister and mother
It's even better yet
But there's the joker in the street
Loving one brother and killing the other

When the time comes and we are really free
They'll be no brothers left you see

We people who are darker than blue
Don't let us hang around this town
And let what others say come true

We're just good for nothing they all figure
A boyish grown up shiftless jigger

Now we can't hardly stand for that
Or is that really where it's at?







Pardon me brother, I know we've
come a long long way













LET US STOP BEING SO SATISFIED.

Curtis Mayfield, 1970.

No comments: