Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rationalizations

Everyone wants to jump to conclusions these days.

Lock 'em up and throw away the key!

Makes you feel good when you say it. But look closer.

If you circle the wagons, it might make you feel secure for a little while. But stand aside and realize the only person you'll be locking in is yourself. If you treat people like prisoners, they will act like prisoners.

Case in point: my girlfriend arrived late last night. I went next door to call her on her cell phone.

I talked to her next-door-neighbor. Yes, I am aware I was asking to use his home phone to call her. Yes, I am aware he didn't know me from Adam.

I was met at the door by a man who acted as though I wanted to steal something from him or beat him up.

I am a twenty-six-year-old white male. I look about 18. I'm hardly the ideal candidate for an armed robbery. I resent being automatically treated as though I am a threat.

This is what I hate about my current job. I am treated as though I am a twelve-year-old in reform school. Instead of punishing the few offenders who bring the rest of us down, we are all punished the same.

How do you foster employee loyalty if you automatically assume they are up to no good? It doesn't foster loyalty. It pisses off employees and makes them desperate to leave. It makes a person work just hard enough to not get fired.

No more, no less.

No comments: