Monday, September 04, 2006

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify


I'm back, bitches!

Communism is like one big phone company- Lenny Bruce.

I have recently started working for a corporation whose name I shall not mention. Suffice to say that it is one big phone company. And in approximately one week of work, I have seriously reconsidered my zest for greater government involvement.

With greater government involvement comes complications, exceptions to every rule, and convoluted regulations.

As regards my own job, I say this:

Does every system, department, and next best thing need its own acronym? Do I need fifty different passwords for fifty different programs, none of which run together efficiently? Do I need nine different bosses?

I know that some will argue than in these increasingly complex times that this sort of phenomenon is inevitable, but it doesn't have to be this way. The very fact that people have discovered ways to make a living by figuring out how to efficiently navigate legalese and jargon speaks volumes towards the way we have become.
Why don't we simplify the tax code, first of all. Instead of loopholes and exceptions and fine print, why not put into play a uniform tax that taxes us all equally?

The libertarians have proposed a 23% across the board sale tax. Their rationale for this is that illegal immigrants will have to pay into the system and not be able to dodge income and property taxes.

I often think we ought to tax the richest of the rich far more than we currently do.

I think also it comes down to strong leadership. Any sort of complicated system be it corporate or governmental will be seriously hampered by bad leadership. So why not keep it simple?

No comments: