Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Jackassery Continues

Medicaid, as I suspected, would not agree to cover the price of the MAOI patch. It balked at the $495 price tag. Now onto Plan B. At the moment, I am waiting for my psychiatrist to call back and prescribe the pill version, which costs $350 less.

As a cost-cutting method, Medicaid requires that I have failed (their nomenclature, not mine) two generic forms of conventional antidepressants. In times past, when I had excellent health insurance, I was prescribed brand name, top of the line medications, so as such I did not fit the criteria.

This is a pitfall we must avoid if Universal Coverage is implemented. Budget surpluses force these sort of loopholes into effect. If it is to be successful, its coffers must always be well-stocked.

No comments: