Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Do You Really Want This, Again?

A convinced Quaker, I adhere to the Peace Testimony and I abhor violence as a rule. This is why the recent string of low blows, negativity, and war to war combat now underway in the Democratic party leaves me feeling decided saddened. It does not have to be this way, and indeed the most vicious, most violent, most deplorable aspects of human behavior and human nature have just now begun to rear their ugly heads.

I pray for swift resolution behind the candidate who can best unify not just the party, but this broken world. I look out today as a person of faith and I see fear, I see worry, and I see exposed nerve endings. This sort of conduct washes over to every American and it only increases the tornado of hate, spiteful conduct, and violence. We may think we live a world only in our own little sphere or circle of friends, but we do not. We are our brother's keeper, and we are our sister's keeper, and right now we need to look out beyond our heads to the community beyond us. We need to seek to heal the broken and give comfort to the heart broken.

Our conduct in the greater world produces a ripple effect whose effects are widely sweeping, felt across this nation as a whole, and wash over into every facet of life.

Let us pray for swift resolution of this most grievous matter. I do not want to see these sights and sounds ever again.





Or this?



Or this?

2 comments:

CeeJay said...

I am very sad to see both candidates vowing to get tougher on each other after the results of March 4th primaries. Hillary took a gamble on the negativity and it seems to have paid off in the (short term at least) in Ohio.

Your post and your poem touched me deeply.

The enthusiasm of youth during this election reminds me of my own in late '60's.
The events and the politics- disillusionment, and despair of that period had a profound effect on my generation.

Mauigirl said...

This is my fear as well. I am worried that Obama will feel he has to get negative in order to win; when really what he needs to do is get back to what he does best - inspiring people. He started to react to Hillary's criticisms and talk policy and get into her turf instead of keeping on with his own strengths. Going negative is not the way to do it.