Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Leaving

I.

sylvia plath bohemian
with emily post mother

new england
palmer method

mom wanted stability
put herself last

she's of that generation
you know

points out details
passive-aggressively

the world is always
full of something to
put into the sink.

II.

dad wanted pie-in-the-sky
the death of the hippie dream
set him angry at himself

his bark is far worse
than his bite

sure once I was young and impulsive
I wore every conceivable pin


III.

daughter was caught in between

daddy's girl
always and forever

IV.

sorority sister
for the sake of connections

(and for the boys)


V.

photo I saw of
mr. boring-but-stable
Buddy Wilkerson type

you know,
mr. nice guy

mom's favorite
no doubt

(I was always
good with mothers myself)

the ancient curse.

neither bad enough
nor good enough

VI.

in
pictures

she squints
she squirms

her face belies
no thoughts
the perfect mirror

married for thrill
not for security

a weakness for
musicians and need

and i
gentle reader

found my plath.

-28 February 2007.

No comments: