Monday, March 02, 2009

Enjoying the Snow From the Inside



This is a bit what last night looked like here in DC and likely what tonight will look like as well. Since tonight's low will be around 12 or 13 degrees and it will not get above freezing today, whatever falls or has fallen will stick around for several days at least. A slow-moving storm dumped about four to five inches on us overnight and into this morning. The roadways are a mess, but functional. Public transportation has plowed forward with no delays on the rail system and a few minor delays for the bus system. Before it concludes, we will have six to seven inches of snow on the ground, itself the largest snowfall in three years and quite a change from the last couple years, which were, as I have been told by natives, rather disappointing. The irony is that having spent most of my life living in the Birmingham metro area, I am used to getting late season snowfalls like this, which back home is the only time when any significant accumulation occurs.

Birmingham got 1-3 inches of snow Sunday morning, though it quickly melted because the day temperatures warmed to above freezing. Though many people both here and there are wishing for the arrival of spring, I have to say I am not one of them. I love wintertime and I also know that as fickle seasons are concerned, spring is the greatest offender. In the last several decades, spring has been transformed to only a stop-gap measure, a greatly abbreviated transition period between the cold of winter and the oppressive heat of summer. Summer is not my season and will never be.

Otherwise, I think I am more or less recovered from Saturday night's drama. One of the unforeseen products of that entire episode is that I think I am now even more fond of my girlfriend then I already was. Her devotion to me during that whole ordeal was itself a kind of tender strength, the likes of which I have rarely experienced from anyone before this instant. To be totally honest, I think I'm on the verge of falling in love and actually feeling something more permanent than infatuation. That will happen in its own way. For right now, I'm trying to live one day at a time.

4 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Kevin-

I am thrilled that you are falling in love. Absolutely thrilled. :-) I love your photo of the snow. I put some on my new post too. And, I put a photo on just for YOU of that doll I wrote about - the 50 ear old doll. Let me know your thoughts when you have a moment. Meanwhile, savor every good feeling of love - and there are a gazillion!
Love Gail
peace.....

PENolan said...

I love the cheese cake story and predict good things.
It reminds me of a song - Blackbird from The White Album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXiOwqMEUC0&feature=related

Whoever made this cut off the last few seconds, but you'll get the idea.

All my hopes are with you
T

Utah Savage said...

Yes, good cheesecake story. And it sounds like the romance is flourishing. All good since you survived and so did romance. Wish I could say the same for my one small flirtation with romance.

lisahgolden said...

I was in D.C. when they had a blizzard in 1993. The city shut down. Coming from Chicago, that was a new experience for me because Chicagoans is very macho about snow. They may bitch about it, but they don't let it stop them from doing anything thing else.

I think that you are taking a good approach to falling. I wish you all the giddy, thrilling, wonderful and a lot of steady calm to balance it.

(yay!)