Friday, January 09, 2009

Poetry

Two of my regular readers requested I post the poem I read live earlier in the week. Here it is in its entirety.

Parasite

Woman
latches on to her
latest significant other

quotes verbatim an
exaggerated litany of
his greatest hits minus

of course

the tragic missteps

her role as spokesperson for
a private P.R. campaign

unprepared for
heavy scrutiny
aiming for
easy ego-stroking

flattery famously conceals
desire for legacy absorption

parallel parasites
blind to their hosts

__________________

In news regarding treatment, on Monday I will begin the first round of genetic studies, brain scans, and neuro-psych testing. My medication regimen will be modified greatly too over the next couple months. The doctors may introduce Neurontin and an anti-depressant on top of what I am already taking. The anti-depressant prescribed will be either Cymbalta or a MAOI inhibitor like Parnate or Nardil. Having been on a MAOI inhibitor before, I recognize the dietary restrictions it requires and would modify my diet accordingly.

The concern I have with the introduction of an anti-depressant is that in times past they have thrown me into a manic state. The doctor assures me, however, that with lithium (the only true mood stabilizer) I have only a very slight risk of becoming manic. What they are seeking to treat now is my anxiety disorder and by proxy, the mild state of depression I have been struggling with for the past several weeks.

I'm not feeling much up to confronting political issues or larger social ills while I'm in the process of recovery. Thanks for your patience.

4 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Kevin-

Great poem, thanks.

I don't feel at all qualified to offer ANY info on medications. I did want to mention thought that neurontin is one of the favorites amongst those in treatment for addiction and have a mental health d/o. diagnosis. There is such a wide range of dosages to meet individual needs, so start low as is recommended and go up from there.
Love and peace
Gail

Utah Savage said...

I love your poetry. Keep writing.

As for the Neurontin--I've been on a large dose for years and it's a great mood stabilizer. I've had periods where it's been all I've needed to keep me on an even keel. I thing all the testing is great. Keep us posted. And if you ever want to talk to another bipolar person not in the same place as you, but don't want to do it in a public place, email me.

Peggy aka Utah Savage

Mauigirl said...

Excellent poem.

Glad you're getting these new treatments. My father was on Parnate for awhile - he was mostly depressive (although I wonder sometimes if he was not properly diagnosed and may have had some manic tendencies as well). Parnate was the only antidepressant that ever really helped him with his depression. But the dietary restrictions are indeed a pain...

Best of luck with the new protocols.

Stephanie said...

Love the poem!