Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Normally I Would Not Even Bother to Care, But...



The world of celebrity drama queens, irregardless of sexual orientation or gender usually produces in me a nearly jaw-breaking yawn. However, the recent controversy over Miss California's anti-gay marriage answer at the Miss USA pageant does inspire me to speak. Asked her personal opinion on the extremely controversial topic, she, in her own slightly articulate way affirmed that she believed that marriage ought to be between a man and a woman. This was an answer, of course, much to the disdain of the openly gay Perez Hilton, one of the judges.

Contrary to what Mr. Hilton thinks, I believe she has a right to express her view, even if I strongly disagree with it. If in fact, as Hilton insists, she lost the competition based purely on her response to one answer, I think it's deeply unfair. Same-sex marriage advocates must take care not to resort to the same prejudicial tactics and close-minded attitudes of their enemies and detractors. If they do so, they risk creating a backlash that will only shore up the will of their opposition and delay the process altogether. Attitudes like this are catnip for the Fox News crowd and play right into prejudicial stereotypes.

Perhaps I simply don't understand the appeal of kitsch and camp. I admit freely that I don't get it at all. I can't comprehend the supposed glitz and glamor of the gorgeously trashy or the desire to live vicariously through them. I don't understand what's so appealing about dubiously intelligent media or pop princesses. Divas of all shapes and sizes annoy me. When I was in college, it was quite trendy to go to drag shows and I went to several of them. I found them to be tremendously boring affairs that I couldn't wait to leave.

Still, the irony of the pageant queen speaking in opposition against the queen who would otherwise be inclined to idealize her is itself an example of a deep, deep disconnect. The only other situation more ironic would be the gay icon who espouses homophobic points of view.

1 comment:

Life As I Know It Now said...

good post Kevin.

also I have something for you at my place.