Saturday, November 01, 2008

Saturday Video



Though mostly forgotten now, Space were for a time a modestly successful mid to late 90's indie rock group, even scoring some notice in underground and college radio circles in the U.S. in the process. The Liverpool based group made their name by their inventive arrangements, a dark sense of comedy, and a hard-to-classify overall sound which pulled as much from 60's and 70's rock as it did from dance pop and movie soundtracks. In the midst of the Britpop wars between Oasis and Blur, groups like Space got submerged underneath the din.

After two albums which charted high in the U.K. album charts, Space were never a substantial success again, eventually breaking up in 2005.

1 comment:

Utah Savage said...

I hear your expert words on the indie rock scene, but I can't share your enthusiasm. I suspect age is the problem. Phillip my administrator, would completely get this. Sadly for me, I do not.