Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Fascinating

This Newsweek synopsis, an insider's view of the 2008 campaign is a fascinating read, if you haven't done so already.

A kind of survival-of-the-fittest ethos permeates this extended explanation for why Obama won, McCain lost, and Hillary Clinton didn't become the Democratic nominee. In short, Obama surrounded himself with the best people and didn't fall prey to ego wars, pettiness, unnecessary expenses, and counter-productive backbiting. Reading it makes me even more glad that neither McCain nor Clinton became President, because if they didn't have the judgment necessary to run their own campaigns, what makes anyone think they could have run the country?

The idea of a Hillary Clinton or John McCain administration was a frightening concept to me, which I why I cast my votes both in the primary and in the general election for neither of them. Personal favoritism aside, having either of them as President would be a grave disservice to all Americans. As painted by this expose, Obama is not perfect, but he is certainly more competent then others with whom we might have been otherwise saddled. W proved how base incompetence can doom us all. I feel much more hopeful today.

*I'm also reminded of how often we elect slightly geeky loners to high elective office in this land. If I didn't have such a rotten medical history I'd have at least tried to get involved in politics as a candidate for some position.

No comments: