Monday, November 03, 2008

Last Day

Though I have been in DC now (technically Bethesda, MD) for two weeks, I've still been monitoring the news from back home via the internet.

So it was that this article jumped out at me this morning. It confirms three major things.

a) Voter turnout will be the highest ever on record in Alabama, many of the new voters going out to the polls utterly enthused and thoroughly motivated by Obama's inclusion on the ballot.

b) Alabama is a greying state which retains few of its young adults. I recognize that fact ever more keenly since I've been up here. DC, by great contrast, is full of people my own age from all over the country, if not the world. I can see now why many people leave Alabama after high school or college, never to return. There is so much more to see and do, and much more opportunity in the north.

c) Though John McCain will easily win Alabama, his margin of victory will be significantly less than it would be for a GOP standard-bearer in previous elections. It will be interesting to see if this signifies a long term trend or is merely a result of the novel, unique, once-in-a-generation nature of Obama's campaign. If African-American turnout is 90% or higher, the gap would be narrowed considerably, since the state's population is a little less than 1/3 black.

______________

I just wish that we'd see this degree of voter interest and participation more often. Back home, those who cast their ballots tomorrow will likely have to wait for thirty to forty minutes to get the ability. I've waited in line that long before and I have to say it never annoys me. This is because I believe voting to be a civic responsibility. We have so much in this country, and we live in a land ridiculously wealthy and blessed with excess compared to most other nations in the world. The least we can do is bother to show up at polling places and select our latest slate of representatives.

4 comments:

Utah Savage said...

I'm terrified young people will let us down. Not you of course, but those other young people. That's rich isn't it. Since it's old people who got us in this mess, but at least we are reliable voters.

And why don't you move to DC, honey? While you're there can you find niche for yourself?

And how goes the medical treatment?

My word id word is expandd--that has to mean something doesn't it?

Comrade Kevin said...

Washington DC might not be a purely objective picture of the way things really are, but everywhere I look it seems as though people my age are mobilized and headed to the polls, if they haven't voted already.

I wish I could move to DC, Utah. The problem is two part: I haven't been able to sustain mental health for very long, meaning I have lost almost every job I've had. And, I have Medicaid in the State of Alabama, which I likely wouldn't receive wherever I relocated to. Medicaid isn't perfect, but it is health insurance. Without it, I'd have had to file for bankruptcy long ago.

But I do love it up here.

The treatment hasn't quite started yet. They're trying to determine which medication trial would be the best fit for me.

Comrade Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Those are great observations. I'll vote no matter how long it takes.