Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday's Busy Post

Today I've already spent most of my morning focusing on my performance tonight. I'll be playing a new song for the first time, one with a particularly tricky chord progression. It's proven to be a challenge, and I've also never been particularly satisfied with the lyrics. Even so, people always ask about whether I have new material, and I don't want to let them down.

In a more cynical time in my life, I wrote this poem.

Generic Rock Star

acts like he owns this
overgrown cow town

expects the
holier-than-thou
adoration

that started to fizzle away
ten years ago

unsubtle
male pattern baldness
shaved head
(not fooling anyone)

generic rock star drives
around and around town

stopping by the coffee shop
thrusting autographs into the
hands of the disinterested

we all know him here
he is no stranger

the worst kept secret

the carnal cravings
desire for youth
conquest

it scares off many a young man
cruising the street corners
the bars
the parks

unaccustomed to the advances
of those hairy knuckles
and drooping eyelids

we townspeople say

he’s creepy
but predictable

at least he’s a native

1 comment:

Gail said...

Hi Kevin

Have a great 'gig' tonight-I know they will love you. I still listen to "I'll Be Your Mirror" from way back. I hope you sing that one too for your audience. And, great poem Kev. Loved it.

Love you
Gail
peace......