Thursday, October 16, 2008

High Standards

I admit I hold myself and the rest of the world to an exacting standard of perfection. Seldom am I ever satisfied with anything I do and frequently I lament that which, in my mind, could be improved, revised, and otherwise sharpened into something better. This is why I find the below sketch so amusing. The questions it raises are many of the same interrogatives I frequently ponder.

Some artists wish believe that art should be for the people and as such should make concessions to the audience, giving them hints along the way. Some believe that art is for intellectuals first and foremost and enjoy interjecting their works with high-brow references, thrilling for those in on the joke and flying over the head of those not inclined that way. I'm more inclined to believe in the latter, if only that I never felt a part of the mainstream and always delighted in the company of intelligent people.


No comments: