Tuesday, April 10, 2007

In The Midst of...

racist allegations from Don Imus and additional calls for Alberto Gonzales to resign is the fact that gasoline prices have risen once again.

I paid $2.61 a gallon at my local gas station. Despite urgings that gas prices will ease off in the next couple weeks, I am not comforted. If I was convinced that the major oil producers were providing more than lip service towards alternative sources of fuel, I would bear this discomfort.

But what has happened is essentially this: a new baseline has been established. Gasoline will, in my humble opinion, never fall below $2 ever again.

The main issue is that we need to convert cars over to alternative sources as soon as possible. Ethanol is just a start. What about some radical thinking: perhaps every car could be equipped with a mechanical means to burn fuel more efficiently.

I wonder about this upcoming hurricane season and wonder what global warming induced storm we'll see this summer and early fall.

6 comments:

Kaleigh said...

The gasoline market yesterday suggests that prices will hit close to $3 in the next couple of weeks.

My dad, an old-school republican (fiscally conservative, socially libertarian), told me yesterday that he kind of hopes the gas prices stay high for an extended period. He thinks that's the only way people will stop buying SUVs. I just wish that hybrid technology was more affordable and available.

RW said...

I wonder about this upcoming hurricane season and wonder what global warming induced storm we'll see this summer and early fall.


Global warming has nothing to do with the hurricane season and if you think that global warming is going to cause a storm this summer, you're reading the wrong stuff.


RW

Comrade Kevin said...

Ricky,

That wasn't what I had heard. I was under the impression that global warming had an impact upon the hurricane season.

I believe you. I wish you would point to some article that proves your point, just for my own benefit.

Can you provide a link?

RW said...

The theory is that global warming will get worse and we'll have all sorts of catastrophic weather-related events. Primary word "will".

Last year's hurricane season was about half of what 2005 was, which should tell you that you don't need a link to realize that global warming - right now - has nothing to do with the number of hurricanes. The 'story' is that they'll be greater in strength in the future if the weather is x degrees warmer. You can do a google search & find out from the source of your choice, but looking at the hurricane seasons of 2006 vs. 2005 is evidence in and of itself.

Joel Monka said...

Here is an essay I wrote about Hurricanes and Global Warming, which has links to NOAH and other official sources.

Comrade Kevin said...

Thank you for that.

That was very informative.