Monday, April 04, 2011

Yesterday



This, the most recorded song of all time, is my latest musical offering. None of the lyrics are particularly pertinent to anything going on, but I took it on as a challenging exercise. For starters, it's in an alternate tuning (full step down). For another, it's again another song right at the edge of the top end of my range. This is especially evident about two thirds of the way through. But it is nonetheless a beautiful song.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh I believe in yesterday
Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be

There's a shadow hanging over me

Oh yesterday came suddenly
Why she had to go I don't know

She wouldn't say

I said something wrong now I long for yesterday
Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away
Oh I believe in yesterday
Why she had to go I don't know

She wouldn't say

I said something wrong now I long for yesterday
Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away
Oh I believe in yesterday

_____________

Today I meet with the surgeon to evaluate healing and to set a time to have the stitches removed. Today is the twelfth day since I underwent the procedure.

1 comment:

Vol-E said...

That song always reminds me of a friend's wedding I attended about 30 years ago. Her parents didn't think much of her, but she threatened to live at home forever if they didn't pay for her wedding, so they reluctantly sprang for a little reception in the conference center of the local Budget Motor Inn. Aluminum tables, StainHider Carpet, all the best amenities. They even had a live band: Three guys whose youngest member was, oh, seventy? The instruments were an accordion, a banjo and a harmonica. They played every polka known to mankind, then walked over to our table. We were the only guests under the age of fifty.

"Here's a little number for all you youngsters," said the band leader. He then proceeded to sing (and this is an exact quote):

"Yesterday.
La-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee!"

And that was it.

They're still married, by the way...