Thursday, March 18, 2010

Where I've Been

The process of attaining health insurance has been a laborious one. To be sure, I eagerly jumped through all the hoops, filled out the paperwork, and waited. And waited. Coverage for low-income residents is never granted quickly or efficiently, but Washington, DC, is its own particular kind of dysfunctional in this area.

I had pushed aside matters like having my teeth cleaned, having fillings filled, visiting a psychiatrist, and getting a routine check up from a GP for months. The latest indignity was when I had scheduled a preliminary dental exam early last week, which was covered in full by one plan, then after arriving to have work done I learned that the plan the District had switched to was not taken. Still, the coverage plan I am now under does allow me to have my medications filled at a pharmacy like CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreens instead of having to go back and forth to one particular on-site pharmacy which is way out of my way.

I have established Medicaid coverage, but that took me filing separately and having to go through another time-intensive process. Suffice to say until I get these appointments out of the way AND covered, posting may be a little on the sparse side.

No comments: