Friday, April 06, 2007

A Religious Liberal's Take on Good Friday

Today, many of us are celebrating the death of a martyr.

May I suggest we celebrate the deaths of many who have dared to speak out in the name of truth against the system. If we limit this merely to a radical liberal rabbi named Jesus of Nazareth, I fail we are doing a grave disservice to ourselves.

I read somewhere that during the fourth century, only 1/3 of the population of the Roman Empire were Christians. I wonder how that massive transition that we called The Council of Nicea was brought about---by threat of violence?

The problem I have with these new attacks that show a supposed attack against moral Christian values is that they assume that Christianity has always been unified and there some demonic unified force against Christianity. The irony of all of this is that we, as Americans, are fully individualistic, not communalistic beings and as such though we do not act in one group consciousness.

And I agree with Blue Gal. It's time to evolve.

No comments: