Friday, April 06, 2007

As Regards Cafeteria Style Christianity

This is in regards to yesterday's Blue Gal

Nothing makes me more upset when people say that you've got to believe everything in the Bible or nothing about it. I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here, not to mention stating to obvious, but we don't even read the text in the original language it was printed. The discrepancies between the petty, vindictive, vengeful Old Testament Jehovah versus the much more pragmatic Jesus of Nazareth of the New Testament prove that you can't really believe everything in the Bible to begin with, if you take things from a literal basis.

I was raised a Methodist and we side-stepped all but a glancing reference to the Trinity as well as tending to avoid at all costs the always-loaded book of Revalations.

And in regards to Easter, I would add my two cents to say that I believe that the human spirit and the soul in general is eternal. That's how I regard the resurrection of the Fallen christ. I see it in metaphorical, rather than literal terms. But isn't it funny how we've resurrected this Pagan Holiday which for all intents and purposes was meant to celebrate the Spring Fertility Ritual and kept certain unoffending parts of it: like easter eggs and bunny rabbits who leave chocolate in the night.

As Bill Hicks said: "Any wonder why we're fucked up? I don't see any reference to chocolate or bunny rabbits anywhere in that goddamn book".

The message, as if it is obvious enough is this, YOU WON'T FIND THEM THERE.

I don't see anyone having a war against the Easter Bunny. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but he was always present in our house. And I'll tell you, I do still get chocolate cravings thinking about those massive shrink-wrapped delights and I might just buy one for myself for old times sake: and with a sense of irony.

No comments: