Monday, April 09, 2007

The Obligatory Imus Post

I've heard worse language that what Don Imus spoke dribble out of my own father's mouth. My father pulls his Archie Bunker routine from time to time and I've learned to ignore it.

He is a disgruntled liberal turned libertarian. Then again, he never bought into hippiedom and sort of acted like Frank Zappa during the day---the hippies' Dad.

At this day and age we simply cannot have overt displays of racism. I've never liked Imus anyway. He's kind of a sarcastic bastard and repeating what I said in a previous comment, the fact that he would say such a thing surprises me not in the least. Still, it was uncalled for, and despite his apologies, he needs to be canned. Had he been a government official in the Bush administration, calls would be made for his resignation. I've often been a critic of political correctness, but this comment stepped over the line and Imus knows it.

What he said was offensive and uncalled for.

The situation reminds me of the remarks of Earl Butz, secretary of Agriculture under Gerald Ford. He made a racist joke aboard Air Force One that led directly to his resignation. I'm not going to repeat the joke because a) it's not that funny and b) it's highly offensive.

No comments: