Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Stay

Pink Floyd keyboard player Rick Wright wrote several songs about the uneasy relationship between musician and groupie. One gets the feeling that he wasn't quite sure what to make of it. In lyrical form he is tentative, conflicted, even repulsed by the new sexual freedom. He doesn't seem to enjoy it much, in any case.

To process his reservations, he wrote songs like "Stay", which follows below.




Stay and help me to end the day.
And if you don’t mind,
We’ll break a bottle of wine.

Stick around and maybe we’ll put one down,
Because I wanna find what lies behind those eyes.

Midnight blue burning gold.
A yellow moon is growing cold.

I rise, looking through my morning eyes,
Surprised to find you by my side.
Rack my brain to try to remember your name
To find the words to tell you goodbye.

Morning dues.
Newborn day.
A yellow moon turned to gray.

Midnight blue, burning gold.
Midnight blue is growing cold.

No comments: