Friday, May 13, 2011

Something Different for Friday

This poem was written very informally as a means to apply to a contest. It does contain some inside references that only those who regularly view the Young Adult Feminist website Feministing will likely get, but I think most of it is comprehensible. I want to underscore that the content is not to be taken literally. I decided to take on the persona of a disgruntled anti-feminist. Beginning with a pun on the website's real name, I ran with the whole notion of anthropomorphized bee behavior.

___________________

Feminist sting

welcome to the hive
the hum of activity and worker bees

for a time I myself
circled round and round

drones like me are
all buzz and no follow through

harmless

months later I realized
I was, in fact,
a rare cross-breed

my role is still uncertain
Do I pollinate or do I make honey?

I never was much
for scaring away
predators

Gender roles are
such a drag

This hive confuses me
Who is the Queen?
Are these Italian bees?

Back in my day
drones were drones

The Queen got waited on
hand-and-foot

Then, of course,
her children started getting divorced

It's a shame to see a hive divided

The Great Bee played a cruel trick
so I hide in the shadows

avoiding the impotent drones
and the fussy workers

One day I'll kick this hive
just you wait.

No comments: