Friday, July 23, 2010

A Wonderful Way to Start the Day




I have some very good news to share with everyone. My post of Tuesday was a review of Michael Kimmel's book Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men. This morning while checking my e-mail, I discovered that Dr. Kimmel e-mailed me personally to thank me for what I had written. My jaw dropped.

These days, I usually cross-post what I write to five and six different places, which I've discovered is a good way to increase exposure and readership. Confirmation like this is a shot in the arm, and a lift to my spirits. It shows how much I have learned in a relatively short period of time. I've never taken a single gender studies, women's studies, or related course in my life, but yet something spoke to me when I first encountered Feminism. The magnetic pull felt a bit mystical, as though this was something I'd always been meant to do. I'd always had an interest in sociology and psychology, but this particular formulation appealed strongly to me.

In the meantime, I'll be reading, listening, and seeking intersections. The art of translation is, to me, the most crucial. Intent without transposing sometimes falls flat.

1 comment:

PENolan said...

You know, I've been thinking a lot about cross posting recently but haven't taken any steps in that direction.
You've inspired me.