Yesterday I was over at my parent's house and encountered a Republican National Committee survey resting on the kitchen table. My father, as you might recall, helped campaign for George H.W. Bush in the late 80's and probably registered as a Republican around the time of Ronald Reagan. This is why the survey ended up being mailed specifically to him. The party is obviously quite desperate, since he never used to receive such mailings. I have no doubt that they've gone through decades worth of names and sent informational mailings to anyone who might be the slightest bit sympathetic.
I'm always curious to know what tricks the GOP are up to these days. The survey, if one can call it that, is nothing more than a bunch of loaded, propaganda-laced, often straw-man infused questions meant to inflame and to spread outrage. I'm not surprised, of course, but I thought I might post these questions to show to what lengths and depths the party has stooped to now. Many of these questions are worded very subtly and very pointedly, so observe them carefully.
I doubt a similar DNC mailer would resort to these same tactics.
- Do you agree with Barack Obama's budget plan that will lead to a $23.1 trillion deficit over the next ten years?
- Do you believe that the federal government has gone too far in bailing out failing banks, insurance companies, and the auto industry?
- Do you support amnesty for illegal immigrants?
- Should English be the official language of the United States?
- Are you in favor of granting retroactive Social Security eligibility to illegal immigrants who gain U.S. citizenship through an amnesty program?
- Are you in favor of the expanded welfare benefits and unlimited eligibility (no time, education, or work requirements) that Democrats in Congress are pushing to pass?
- Do you believe that Barack Obama's nominees for federal courts should be immediately and unquestionably approved for their lifetime appointments by the U.S. Senate?
- Do you believe that the best way to increase the quality and effectiveness of public education in the U.S. is to rapidly expand federal funding while eliminating performance standards and accountability?
- Do you support the creation of a national health insurance plan that would be administered by bureaucrats in Washington, DC?
- Do you believe that quality and availability of healthcare will increase if the federal government dicatates pricing to doctors and hospitals?
- Are you confident that new medicines and medical treatments will continue to be developed if the federal government controls prescription drug prices and sets profit margins for research and pharmaceutical companies?
- Are you in favor of creating a government-funded "Citizen Volunteer Corps" that would pay young people to do work now done by churches and charities, earning Corps Members the same pay and benefits given to military veterans?
- Are you in favor of reinstituting the military draft, as Democrats in Congress have proposed?
- Do you believe that the federal government should allow the unionization of Department of Homeland Security employees who serve in position critical to the safety security of our nation?
- Do you support Democrats' drive to eliminate workers' right to a private ballot when considering unionizing of their place of employment?
A separate note from Michael Steele insinuates that the Republican party is "not dead". I find this most telling.