Monday, July 09, 2007

Terrorism is Terrorism, No Matter How You Spin It

A few posts ago, I expressed reservations at the mosque being built up the road from here.

Now, thanks to this article I can again reiterate that Christian terrorists pose as much of a threat to American society as their more well-known Islamic brothers. I hope I didn't come across as stereotyping as Muslims as terrorists just as I would never stereotype all Christians as terrorists. But the pure fact is that the acts of terror committed on American soil have by in large been committed by Christian extremists: the sort who will bomb abortion clinics, Olympic park villages, Oklahoma City Federal Buildings, and gay bars. And rest assured, if Fred Phelps wanted to start a church around these parts, I'd put up in arms myself protesting.

As an aside, I was here in Birmingham, in undergrad, when Eric Rudolph bombed the abortion clinic on the Southside of downtown. The explosion echoed eerily around the campus and we thought classes might be canceled as a result. Alas, they were not.

h/t Quaker Dave

Quaker Dave, by the way, runs a series of posts from time to time entitled "I Want My Jesus Back". I couldn't agree more.

No comments: